Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Comments on the # of laps for this year...

I just rode 2 laps today of what I think will be the route for this year's race. Things are in very good shape out there as opposed to last year which had all the spring rain turning Lake Ahquabi into a flood disaster zone. I will be doing some trimming the next two weeks to open up some sight lines on corners from some of the growth, but it really is in good shape from all the work I did last year. The DNR will be removing about 6 felled trees and I will do some work with a shovel on a couple of washed out areas.

This year I have rented the Lake Ahquabi Lodge that sits high up on the hill and overlooks the lake. It's a nice place for a post race event (be it food, drink, etc...). My plan is to have the start of the race by the lake shore directly down the hill from the Lodge. The finish line will be to turn up the hill on everyone's last lap and do the dramatic climb straight up the hill from the lake to the lodge as the cowbells are ringing. This will remove one of the problems from last year's finish line by the beach house shelter which was not very safe for finish line sprints on the off camber grass with the corner. This year will be much safer as well as much more difficult to finish with a steep climb. The DNR staff has already mowed a nice straight path in the meadow for our final hill climb.

Please feel free to comment on the number of laps you think are appropriate. Several complained last year about all the climbing and the length of the race. I'm happy to trim off the # of laps if that would please everyone. Last year, beginners did 1 lap, Sport/Singlespeed 3 and Experts 5. Finish times for the winners were 32 minutes for Male and 36 minutes for Female Cat 3's, 1:27 for Cat 2 Male and 1:52 for Cat 2 Female; 1:18 for Singlespeed; 2:05 for Cat 1. We could easily cut it down a lap for Cat 2 and Cat 1, but I'll go with the consensus. I'm Joe Average in terms of the Sport Class and it takes me about 1:33 - 1:38 to complete 3 laps. If a 90 minute duration for the Cat 2 winner is too much, we could cut it down to 60 minutes. And if a 2 hour duration for Cat 1's is too much, we could cut it down 90 minutes. Either way, it's a fun course to just open up the throttle and fly.

Post a comment and let me know your preference of the number or laps or an ideal finish time for the winner in each class so we can base the number of laps off of that.

6 comments:

kc said...

lap counts seemed fine to me last year. right along with how most imbcs races are setup. keep the climbs coming bruce!

Bruce Brown said...

I just looked over finishing times for winners at the Ida Grove IMBCS race to see if the Ahquabi times fit.

Yup. Pretty much the same times, so I guess the lap counts are okay if we're shooting for a similar balance.

Buckshot77 said...

I vote to keep the laps where they're at. Sure, there's some decent climbing, but you can go all out on the rest of the course.

Iowagriz said...

Couldn't make the race last year, so I have nothing to compare it to. I always prefer a longer race, but I suppose that possible heat/humidity may play a factor this weekend.

Is the hill to the finish on each lap? Or, just the last lap to a finish banner?

Bruce Brown said...

That last hill will only be on everyone's final lap. I may be a sadist, but I'm not that cruel.

I did 8 hours of trimming today. More to do tomorrow. Al Boone is heading out with his chainsaw as well to take care of some felled trees.

That being said - this course has some extensive climbs. In spite of that, the average speeds are way up there with the wide open flatter sections. It's ready to ride after tomorrow. Most thing will have been pruned, shoveled, weed-ate, etc... . Some mowing is yet to take place. It will either be the DNR or me with the CITA Bush Whacker.

Danial123 said...

Looks aren't the only thing this cruiser has though. It wouldn't be a sixthreezero without the smooth cruise configuration, so you know it will not only look great, but it'll give yopu the smoothest and easiest ride possible California Bikes.
beach bikes